Changing your hair is no easy feat, but trying on virtual hair styles can help to make your decision much easier. Simple, easy to use, and fun, these programs help you try on new looks without ever having to lift a finger.
Finding Virtual Hair Style Tools
You can try on a new look at several different reputable websites, including:
Whether you love InStyle for their interactive website, or for their glossy monthly magazines, if you are searching for a great celebrity hair style, then this is the site for you. To do so:
- Click the Start Your Makeover option
- From there, decide whether you want to upload your own photo or use one of the available models. Currently, four different models are featured on the homepage, but you can see more models by clicking the red arrow located under the models' pictures.
Once you've selected your model, or the personal photo you like best, it's time for the fun to begin. In Style literally has over one hundred pictures of hair styles from which you can choose, so streamline your search by selecting either the celebrity you love most, the style you are after, or a specific hairstyle.
From there, you can add makeup, including eyeliner, lipstick and even bronzer. If you like what you see, you also have the option of purchasing the make you've selected. Even better? There's no limit on how many times you can use the makeover function, so you can try out all your favorite looks, from trendy to classic.
Cosmopolitan.com's virtual hair makeover is quite similar to the one you'll find at InStyle.
Once more, you'll want to either select a model or upload your photo. However, here you won't be able to select a style from a specific celebrity. Instead, you'll have to browse through the entire photographs collection in order to find your favorite celebrity.
You can narrow your hairstyle search down a bit by selecting from one of the following categories:
- Long hair
- Medium hair
- Short hair
You also have the ability to change your hair color, and your makeup with this program. Cosmo then provides a list of the products you used in the makeover, so purchasing a specific hair color or the cosmetics you liked best, shouldn't be an issue.
The Hair Styler
At The Hair Styler, you'll need to actually register with the site and become a member in order to use and view the full range of the available models, but limited functionality is available at no charge. A three month subscription is $14.95, and allows you unlimited photo uploads of yourself, family and friends. You can choose from thousands of hairstyles, a wide range of hair colors, and many makeup shades. You can also email images to friends or upload your virtual images to Facebook. Professional hair style consultation is also included with your subscription.
Good Housekeeping Virtual Haircuts
The Good House Keeping virtual haircut and makeover tool has 45 different celebrity hairstyle images to choose from. You can also choose hair color and adjust the level of color to your preference. In addition to makeup looks to try on, this site is also unique in that offers virtual anti-aging treatments; readers can test the look of plumper lips or raised brows to get an idea if the treatment is right for them.
Essence Makeover Magic
The Essence Makeover Magic tool is geared towards women of color and provides a range of hair options, including celebrity styles. You can compare images, add a magazine cover to your finished look, and email the makeover images to friends.
DYI Virtual Makeover Software
If you'd rather purchase your own makeover software in order to have all the time you'd like in order to discover your new perfect look, you can do that as well. Some options include:
- Softpedia: At this site, you'll find a free trial of The Mirror of Beauty software. This program allows you to change your hair style, but it also allows you to play with different makeup looks as well; from blush to glitter, and everything in between, is available through this program.
- Extended Reality: Extended Reality offers several different programs, including those for hair, makeup, and even clothing.
- Hair Stylist: Rated four stars by CNet, this Hair Stylist software program allows you to try on different haircuts, colors, and makeup. The program also lets you modify facial jewelry (and facial hair for men). The downside of the free trial version of this program you can't save your creations.
- Salon Styler: This is a professional software program that offers thousands of different hair looks. It also allows the option of multiple hair color looks and offers virtual makeup as well.
Beneficial and Fun
No matter what route you take in the world of virtual makeovers, know that these programs can help you in a myriad of ways.
First, if you are in the market for a radical change, a virtual makeover can help you see what you'll look like before you make any actual changes. Second, if you see a style on a celebrity that you think would work wonderful with your hair texture, you can try on that look, and then book a salon visit.
Third, and perhaps most importantly, if you have a special occasion coming up, but are unsure what hair style will suit you best, a virtual program can help you experiment and decide once and for all. Combine benefits like these with the fun of playing dress-up, and you have a winning beauty combination.