Many women and girls like to have hair styles with ribbons on a special evening, such as a birthday or wedding. Bows and ribbons have been popular hair accessories for hundreds of years, and are still popular today. In the 1800s ribbons were used as gifts for young girls, as well as a part of their best outfits for special events, like church services and weddings.
Today ribbons are not as expensive as they may have been back then, but they are still an adorable addition to any girl or woman's outfit for special occasions, and even just for adding some spice to an everyday hairdo. There are many unique styles that use ribbons, and you can even create your own special look with a little imagination.
Different Hair Styles with Ribbons
There are many different hairstyles that feature ribbons, ranging from Braids to bows. Ribbons are not just for kids either; there are many cute hairstyles with ribbons for adults as well.
Hairstyles for kids often utilize ribbon barrettes. Some cute styles with ribbons for little girls include:
- Braids: Weave a thin ribbon into the hair as you braid it, or even do two or three ribbons to match other clothing or accessories. Pigtail braids are a cute look with ribbons braided in them.
- Headbands: A ribbon can be made into a headband easily; just wrap a ribbon of medium thickness around the head and pin it back with bobby pins in the back of the hair.
- Bows: Bows made out of ribbons are a fun, easy to make fashion statement. Just pull the hair back into a ponytail and tie the ribbon into a bow around it. You might want to use a clear elastic hair tie to help keep the ponytail in place.
Just because you are an adult doesn't meant that you can't wear your hair with bows in it. Many hairstyles for kids look just as good on adults and teenagers; braids and bows never go out of style just because you are older. Some hairstyles with ribbons in them for adults are:
- Medieval Ribbons: Braid your hair into small braids, weaving ribbons through them, and pull your hair into a bun on top of your head.
- Curly Updos: Curl your hair and make it into a bun, then wrap a ribbon around the bun, securing it with bobby pins.
- Bows and Wrapping Braids: Bows can be used much like you would use them in a child's hairstyle, or you can try something new and put the bow on the side of your hair, at the bottom of a braid, or in a bun. Wrapping ribbons into your braids is also a stylish hairstyle idea.
Teen girls might feel that they are "too old" to wear ribbons, but with a little creativity, you can create a look that is grown up and fun. Ribbons can add a lot of flair to an otherwise drab outfit. Ribbons can also serve a dual purpose, such as being used as a necklace with a class ring worn on it.
- Ribbon French Braid: Create a French braid by pulling hair into two sections and securing a third section out of one or more ribbons clipped near the crown of your head. Complete the braid as normal, using the ribbon as the third section of hair.
- Short Styles with Ribbon: Even girls with short styles can add a few ribbons for a special occasion. Pull back a small section of hair on top and secure with an elastic band and a ribbon. If hair is too short to hold an elastic band, glue a bow to a small barrette and clip the barrette into hair.
Where to Buy Hair Ribbons
If you are looking to buy hair ribbons, you can find them in many different places. Simple scrapbooking ribbons can be found at a hobby store, and these kinds of ribbons are good for braiding into your hair. Many salon and hair product stores will also carry ribbons and ribbon accessories. One option you might not have considered is visiting your local fabric store and purchasing ribbons by the roll, which is especially useful if you need longer ribbons for braiding. Even Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby sell these ribbons in a wide variety of styles and colors.
If you have decided that you want to try hair styles with ribbons, then you will want to find the right ribbon for your look! Ribbons come in every size, shape, and style, and there is no limit to the fun they can add to your hair.