Clip on hair extensions can give you the length, volume, or commitment-free color accents you've always wanted. They're easy to apply and care for and they're available in so many styles, you can get almost any look you'd like to have.
Clip on hair extensions allow a person to change their hair style each and every day without committing to permanent hair extension placement - which is what happens with regular hair extensions. Regular hair extensions cannot be added and removed on a whim because a hair stylist must glue, braid, sew, or weave them into a person's natural hair. One of the most beneficial aspects of clip on extensions is that they can be added and removed with ease at any time. They are also relatively inexpensive, which means that a number of different looking hairpieces can be owned and used on a rotating basis.
Short Hair One Minute, Long the Next
Do you have short hair and want it long… immediately? Clip on hair extensions might be the answer because they can literally be added to hair in a few minutes and they give the appearance of long hair instantaneously.
One of the cheapest, quickest and easiest extension styles is a ponytail. Stylish clip on ponytails can be found in any large department type stores such as Wal-Mart, some beauty supply stores such as Sally Beauty Supply, and even at drugstores, such as CVS or Walgreens. The type of hair extensions sold at stores such as these are made of synthetic fibers and usually cost less than $20. They usually come in a few color varieties that may or may not completely match a person's natural hair.
Other styles include:
- Bangs that work like hair extensions but don't require a cut
- Bright color accents
- Volume boosters that give the appearance of teased hair for updos or fuller hair without adding length
- Buns and chignons
- Lengths from 10" to 25"
You can get clip on extensions in any texture you'd like: wavy, straight, or curly. Some can be styled with curling irons and flat irons just like your own hair, but others will come in one texture that cannot be changed. Layered hairpieces are also available.
High Quality Clip Ons
Cheap synthetic hair extensions are easy to find. However, more expensive and high quality hair extensions are available at many upscale wig stores and wig outlet stores on the Internet. Some of the well-known and quality hair extension brands currently on the market are Raquel Welch and Revolution. However, if an off-the-shelf style is not what is desired, custom clip extensions can be created.
Other places to shop include:
- Hair Extensions: Here, you can sort clip on extensions by length, color, volume, and bangs, so you don't have to sift through everything available to find the pieces that match your ideal style. You'll find Jessica Simpson's wide range of clip on extension styles, bright colors, Raquel Welch's line, and more.
- Pro Extensions: At this site, you'll get to choose from everything from 100 percent human hair volume boosters to synthetic ponytails and streaks.
- Glamour Extensions: If you're looking for one-piece extensions that can be curled and straightened just like your own hair, this shop is worth a look. Find straight, wavy, and spiral curl styles as well as bright highlight colors and bangs.
Attaching Clip On Extensions at Home
Permanent hair extensions take a while to secure to a person's natural hair, and they are usually applied by a stylist in a salon. Clips, on the other hand, can be placed in a person's hair in a matter of minutes within the comfort of a bedroom or bathroom. As long as there's a mirror, clip on hair extensions can be added.
While there are different clip on styles, most hair extensions of this variety are attached to a hair band, a barrette, a hair clip, or some type of bobby pin or other accessory and then secured to natural hair on the head. The most popular type of attachment device is a clip which snaps closed and can securely hold the extension in place so that it remains undetectable.
Tips on Securing Extensions
In many cases, you'll need to make a careful part where you want to attach the extensions. In some cases, this may be from ear to ear across the back of the head. In other cases, it may be higher up on the head, from temple to temple across the back of the head. When choosing where to place the part, make sure you have enough of your natural hair to cover up the clips once the extensions have been inserted.
You may have more than one strip of hair to clip on in order to achieve a layered appearance and lots of volume. To attach:
- Start from the bottom and work your way up.
- Tease the roots of the hair just under each part to provide texture and prevent the extensions from sliding out. Work the comb in from the top of the teased part and clip it into place.
- Brush your own hair into place over the clips.
- If you're using a curling iron or flat iron to match your own hair's texture to the extensions, style your hair prior to inserting the extensions.
Synthetic vs. Human Hair Extensions
Since clip on extensions are not permanent and can be added or removed from a person's hair at any time of the day or night, there's a debate on whether or not the extensions should be made of synthetic fibers or actual human hair.
- Synthetic: Many people choose the synthetic variety because they're inexpensive which means a number of different varieties and styles can be owned for a relatively small amount of money. The extensions can be interchanged and used to create a different hair look every single day.
- Human Hair: Human hair extensions are often used by people who are hoping to achieve thicker-looking and fuller-looking hair that appears authentic and exactly matches their existing hair. Many argue that hair extensions made of human hair are more realistic and undetectable.
A Different Style Every Day
If you have short hair but you want to switch it up from time to time or if you have thin hair that could use a boost, clip on extensions are a commitment-free way to get the different looks you want from day to day. Prices will vary depending on the type of hair and the styles you prefer, so if you want to have an arsenal of hairstyles and accent colors, plan ahead in order to make the most of your budget.