When prom night rolls around, do-it-yourself prom hair styles are an easy and affordable way to get an elegant prom hair style without the hassle of a trip to the salon. Whether this is your junior or senior prom, you can easily create beautiful prom styles with a little effort and creativity.
Types of Do-It-Yourself Prom Hair
If you decide to do your prom hair at home, there are many different styles you can use. Looking through magazines at pictures of prom hair galleries and at pictures of celebrities can give you ideas for the type of prom hair style that you want. You can also ask your classmates, friends, and family about the kind of hairstyles they would wear on prom night.
Do-it-yourself prom hair doesn't have to be difficult. You can easily create a style in the comfort of your own home. With a few hair styling tools, such as a good flat iron, a pick or comb, and a can of hair spray, you can have great-looking hair at a very affordable price. A few examples you can do at home for prom include:
Prom Down-Dos are an elegant alternative for prom. A down-do not only look sophisticated, but it is an ideal style to balance a more extravagant dress. To get an easy prom down-do that is a bit different than an everyday style, follow these steps:
- Create a deep side part on whatever side of the hair is most comfortable.
- Apply a heat protectant product.
- Flat iron the hair, turning the ends gently under to frame the face.
- Alternatively, use the flat iron vertically to create soft waves.
- Place a small jeweled clip, barette, or bobby pin in the smaller side of the part.
- Finish with a spritzing of a flexible-hold spray to set the style, but still allow it to move.
Romantic Half-Up Hair
A half-up hairstyle can easily be created at home and curling the hair makes it special and romantic. To get this style:
- After applying a heat protectant product, separate hair into sections.
- Curl each section with a large or medium barreled curling iron.
- Let the curls cool.
- Finger comb the curls to separate.
- Pull the top portion of the hair up into a fancy hair tie, jeweled barette, or detailed claw or clench clip. For a princess-like style, pull hair higher on the crown. For a more elegant and understated look, keep hair towards the back of the head.
- Apply a medium-hold finishing spray to set.
Updo styles are perfectly suited for special occasions like prom. A soft prom updo has the benefit of allowing your hair to move a bit more than in a style like a severe bun, and it is a more forgiving look for a do-it-yourself hair style. For a simple, soft updo:
- After applying heat protectant, loosely curl your hair with a flat iron or curling iron.
- Use bobby pins to pull your curls into a soft bun, either at the nape of the neck or at the back of the head.
- Let several pieces fall freely to frame your face.
- Add flowers, ribbons, or hair jewelry to make a more formal look.
- Apply a medium to high-hold finishing spray to set your style.
Braids are a classic prom look that is pretty and nostalgic. An easy way to create a braided prom style is:
- Braid your hair into a long braid hanging down your back.
- Loosely curl the pieces that fall around your face.
- Wrap the braid so that it falls to one side of your neck.
- Mist the front of the hair lightly with a low-hold finishing spray.
Prom Hair Tips
There are dozens of hair tips and tricks that can be applied to prom hairdos. Some easy and simple prom hair style tips are:
- Don't try anything new the night before your prom whether its hair colors or a new style. It is best not to risk having a bad hair day on your prom night.
- Be sure to do a 'test run' of your prom hair a few times before the big night.
- Don't dye your hair any unusual colors that might clash with your dress, though if your dress matches the color of hair dye you want, then you might be able to pull it off.
Downside of Home Hairstyles for Prom
Although doing your hair at home can be affordable, there is a downside. Intricate looks can be difficult to accomplish without the help of a professional stylist. Professional stylists are also well-versed in securing styles well enough to last throughout the night without falling or fading, and have professional products at their disposal. Prom is a special night, and if you are dreaming of a certain style, especially one that is very involved, you may want to consider saving up the money to get it done at the salon.
For simple styles, there are many do-it-yourself prom hair looks that can be achieved at home. With a little effort and the help of a friend or relative, a tight budget doesn't have to stop you from having beautiful hair for this special night.