When using hair removal creams, what is best for coarse hair? It's worth it to take the time to investigate all of the products available and determine which one is most appropriate for your hair type.
Women all over the world know all too well the pesky problem that is hair removal. It almost seems as though there's never a moment's rest: you've just waxed and it's already time for another session. Perhaps you prefer hair removal creams, which work well on your skin but don't necessarily keep the hair off for long. Before you know it, you're reaching for the cream again.
The procedure is more complicated if your hair is coarse, stiff, and difficult to remove. If this is the case, there are plenty of products available on the market today that make the process much simpler. In a day and age when hair removal is an absolute must for many women, it would seem that even the most stubborn hair can be removed with just a little extra effort.
The Coarse Hair Dilemma
Coarse hair might seem like a curse, particularly as you grow older and deal with the possibility of sudden excess hair growth. Coarse hair, however, isn't the problem today that it once was. This is because there are several types of hair removal products recommended specifically for coarse hair. This type of hair requires extra attention, because it is stubborn, often grows back quickly and can be difficult to remove. Don't lose hope, though: there are plenty of options for removing even for the most hard-to-manage hair!
Hair Removal Creams: What is Best for Coarse Hair?
Truthfully, it can be a frustrating task trying to find a hair removal cream that eliminates coarse facial and body hair satisfactorily. Depilatory creams are generally most effective on fine to medium hair, particularly in areas such as the bikini line, the arms, legs, toes, fingers, upper lip and stomach.
Hair removal creams remove the hair from the skin's surface, as opposed to yanking it away from the root (as the waxing procedure does). Thus, the hair inevitably grows back within just a few days. These creams can also cause irritation to sensitive skin because they are chemically formulated to weaken the hair from the surface of the skin by dissolving keratin. The result is hair that is easily wiped away with a tissue or washcloth.
It is important to keep a few points in mind prior to applying a depilatory to the skin:
- Consult a dermatologist prior to use if you suffer from moderately to severely sensitive skin. He or she may prescribe a low-strength steroidal cream to calm the irritated skin.
- Discontinue use at any time if you experience burning, itching, or inflammation. While some stinging might be common even in individuals with normal skin, it is often a precursor to an uncomfortable side effect.
- As always, allergic reactions are possible anytime a new product is used. Always do a patch test prior to applying the product fully to the skin. Allow it to sit for the full recommended time before rinsing. If you do not experience redness or discomfort, proceed with use.
What to Use
Now that you know the basics, you can focus on the most important task: learning what cream is best for coarse hair and which one is best for you.
- Sally Hansen Extra Strength Hair Removal Lotion with Special Moisturizers: The key to dealing with coarse hair is to soften it up first. This botanically-enhanced complex is formulated with the following ingredients, which work together to relax the hair:
- Aloe Vera
- Wild Cherry
In addition, it contains a complex formulated to inhibit the appearance of hair regrowth:
- Saw Palmetto
- Willow Herb
- Pumpkin Seed
- Andrea Extra Strength Hair Remover: Even the most stubborn hair won't stand a chance when faced with this product. In addition to the hair removal lotion, it also includes a post-removal moisturizer formulated to restore the skin's pH balance and soothe redness and irritation away. It contains:
- Marigold Extract
- Hair No More Advanced Hair Vanishing Creme: At around $24, it's more costly than the average depilatory - but its rave reviews certainly give it a great reputation. Formulated to prevent ingrown hairs, protect against environmental damage and soften the skin, this cream promises to maintain hair-free skin for a greater period than the average depilatory.
Finding the right hair removal cream for coarse hair can be a challenge, but it will be well worth the effort for smooth, silky skin with no harsh side effects.