Hot rollers are a great alternative to using a curling iron and can often provide better results. Best of all, you are not tied to one spot while using rollers, leaving you free to apply makeup, make your bed, or have a quiet breakfast while adding vivacious curls to your hair. And, unlike a perm, a shampoo and conditioning will return your hair to its pre-curl condition.
How to Use Hot Rollers
Steps to that perfect curly do:
- Shampoo, condition, and blow dry your hair.
- Evenly comb hair gel through your dry hair.
- Work with one section of hair at a time, clipping back the rest of your hair, so it doesn't get in the way.
- Dampen a square of tissue paper and fold it in half over the ends of a two inch section of hair.
- Take the roller and wrap the end of your hair around it, rolling the section up to your scalp. Secure the roller with a bobby pin.
- Repeat the previous three steps until all of your hair is in the rollers.
- Let them set for 20-30 minutes.
- Take out the rollers.
- Run your fingers through your hair gently to work out any tangles.
- Use hair spray to kept your waves set all day.
Things to Remember
- For spiral curls, twist your hair around your fingers before rolling it up.
- Larger hot rollers make bigger curls, while smaller rollers make tighter curls.
- Use a medium hold hair spray at the roots when rolling. Using a stronger hair spray will make it more difficult to remove rollers.
- Hair must be completely dry.
- Allow rollers to heat completely before use.
- You can speed up the process by using a hair dryer.
- Excessive heat is bad for your hair. Make sure to deep-condition regularly to minimize the damage to your hair.
- When handling the hot rollers, be careful; they can burn you easily.
- Do not remove rollers if they are still warm.
Curling Irons Vs. Hot Rollers
When deciding whether using a curling iron or rollers is the best answer for you, consider these facts:
- Both curling irons and hot rollers require time to heat up, but the rollers may take slightly longer.
- Hot rollers are easy to use when styling the whole head or a section, but they will not curl the ends of your hair. A curling iron is more effective.
- Often the color of the rollers indicates when they are ready to use and when the curls are set. If not, wait until the rollers have lost their heat before removing. Curling irons, on the other hand, have no visual guide to when the curl should be perfect.
- Curling irons give you more flexibility when choosing between loose and tight curls; however, you can brush out your curls after using the rollers to get the desired effect.
- Hot rollers do save some time in the long run, and your curls could last longer.
- Curling irons are easier to transport when traveling.
Some of the Brands
Hot rollers come in many shapes and sizes and can be found online or in a neighborhood store. Check out these brands:
Hot rollers are fantastic if you are dressing to impress, going on a first date, interviewing for a new job, or just feel like a change in style. They give your hair a temporary new look and a chance to try out something different!Written by Virginia Payne.