If you've ever wondered how to pull your hair up with a pencil, then you'll be happy to know that putting your hair into a bun or loose ponytail with a pencil is easy to do, once you get the hang of the technique. All you'll need is a pencil and hair that is at least shoulder length. After you learn how to put your hair up this way, you'll be able to create a cute bun without a hair tie in just seconds.
Quick and Casual Updo Hairstyle
If you've ever been in a situation where you'd like to put your hair up, but you don't have a hair tie, barrette, rubber band or scrunchie, then learning how to make a ponytail or bun with a pencil, means that you can create a simple upswept look with all sorts of everyday objects. For example, pens, chopsticks, forks, and even a thin paint brush can help to solve your dilemma.
How to Pull Your Hair Up with a Pencil Instructions
It's easy to create a simple bun or ponytail with a pencil! It may seem awkward at first, especially if you've never seen it done before. It may help to check out some videos on how to put your hair up without a barrette on YouTube. The following instructions are written for those who are right handed.
- Gather your hair up into a ponytail using your hands.
- Grasp the ponytail with your left hand. The ponytail should be just below the crown of your head.
- Place the pencil above the ponytail with your right hand. The tip of the pencil should be pointed toward the left.
- Hold the pencil in place with your right hand.
- Twist the hair around the pencil with your left hand. If your hair is long, keep wrapping the hair around the pencil until you get close to the tip.
- Hold the hair secure to the pencil with your left hand.
- Twist the pencil upwards with your right hand so that the point is at a 90 degree angle.
- Pull the pencil down slightly toward the nape of your neck.
- With your right hand grasping the eraser side of the pencil, reverse the pencil and poke the pointy side of the pencil through the hair that you bundled around the pencil.
- Push the pencil down so that it is vertical or angled slightly at the back of your head to lock it in place.
You can also just twist your hair into a bun and then secure it in place with a pencil. To do this, gather all your hair into a ponytail and twist it into a tight bun. Slide a pencil straight through the bun horizontally. You may have to weave the pencil slightly to get a secure hold.
Hair Styles You Can Create With a Pencil
The pencil technique for hair can be used to create a tight bun, a loose pony tail set high on the head, a low casual bun or low ponytail depending on where you 'lock' the pencil in place. The style you end up with will also depend on how tightly you wrap the hair around the pencil. You can even put just half of your hair up this way and leave the bottom half loose. Sweep your bangs to the side or leave a few strands loose in the front for a cute look.
Learning how to pull your hair up with a pencil will take a bit of practice at first. If you happen to have very thick or curly hair, you may only need to twist the hair around the pencil a few times. If you have thin or fine hair, you can still use this technique, just be sure to wrap the hair tightly around the pencil. Once you get the technique down, you'll be able to put your hair up anywhere, at anytime, using all sorts of things!