As much as you may already know about cleansing your hair, you might still want to keep a list of shampoos handy based on function. Changes in season, diet, and even your hormones can affect your hair and suddenly your tried-and-true shampoo isn't up to what's needed. Hang on to it, but don't be afraid to substitute in some others as necessary.
An Organic List of Shampoos
Increasingly, people are moving away from drugstore brand shampoos that feature a lot of chemicals. Even high-end shampoos have troublesome shampoo ingredients that are best avoided for optimum hair health. Fortunately, organic shampoos have become more available and less expensive, so you can exercise the healthier option without straining your schedule or budget.
For basic organic shampoos, a few to try are:
- Jason - one of the best natural hair care products that makes a number of specialty products, such as color-enhancing, curl-defining and extra moisturizing shampoos. They are available at most health-food stores as well as grocery chains like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.
- Dr. Bronner's All-in-One - a surprisingly effective and ultimately dirt-cheap option. This is just old-fashioned castile soap, which can be used for the face, hands, body, household cleaning, and yes, shampoo. It works best on normal hair that doesn't require anything special as well as sensitive hair or for those with allergies. Many people with skin sensitivities forget that they need to be mindful of what they use to clean their hair as well, and this soap, with very few ingredients and those there are all natural, is a great option.
- Burt's Bees - another inexpensive, easy-to-find option. They also make volumizing, color-safe and deep moisturizing shampoos, so there is a lot to choose from.
Whether you have highlights or dye your hair to hide gray, you require a shampoo that cleanses without fading or stripping color. Here's a list of shampoos that help you maintain your hair color longer without adding more chemicals:
- Beauty Without Cruelty - the Moisture Plus shampoo is an inexpensive natural shampoo that protects treated hair. Don't worry that the label doesn't cite its color-protective quality as well. It contains botanicals like green tea to prevent fading and sage and rosemary which are ideal for enhancing dark hair.
- Alba Botanica - contains green tea, calendula, and chamomile to maintain shine and moisture while sealing in color.
- Burt's Bees Color Keeper - contains that fabulous green tea, which also acts as a natural UV protector (never forget that the sun is as harsh on your hair as it is on your skin, especially if your hair is color-treated), along with fennel seed and jewelweed, which renew and repair.
One thing to remember about dandruff is that it's a condition that comes from the inside - very, very rarely does it have to do with a lack of cleanliness on your part. The first thing you should consider before opting for an anti-dandruff shampoo is your diet. However, if you know you need a cleanser to attack those flakes, here's a list of shampoos that do so while keeping to organic ideals:
- Naturado Organic Anti-Dandruff Clay Shampoo - this comes from France and contains clay that cleanses and balances. It also contains juniper tar, which has anti-itching and peeling properties. Be aware that this tar lends the shampoo a strong smell, but it will vanish after rinsing. It is an excellent alternative to the coal tar in most anti-dandruff shampoos, which has been shown to have carcinogenic properties.
- Lavera Cornflower Anti-Dandruff Shampoo - the extracts of cornflower, sage, rosemary, and witch hazel will help to clear and then prevent dandruff. If you find the witch hazel too drying, use a stronger conditioner or a regular deep oil treatment.
- Pure Life's Organic Wild Indigo Shampoo - not only does this shampoo contain no problematic ingredients, it's very inexpensive and the wild indigo is both a natural antibiotic as well as a dandruff-buster.
Shop around to find a good selection and price on organic shampoos for your hair's needs. You can have great hair and maintain an eco-life at the same time!