Due to the growing popularity of the natural product industry, there are now many natural hair products that cater to black women. When shopping for hair products, one of the main areas of concern is adding more moisture to dry hair. Since most people of African descent have curly hair, it is more difficult for the natural sebum (oils) to travel from the scalp all the way to the ends of the hair, resulting in a lack of overall moisture. It is imperative to add moisture with quality ingredients and maintain the hair's manageability and shine.
Great Natural Hair Products for Blacks
Many popular hair care brands employ natural botanicals and plant-derived substances such as avocado oil and shea butter to infuse moisture into the hair. The oil of the jojoba seed is one of the best and most effective moisturizing agents included in hair products because it mimics the natural sebum of the scalp, making it the perfect substitute for scalp oils.
Besides needing moisture, black hair has a variety of styling needs that relate to strengthening the hair, heat protection, and increasing the hair's manageability.
Conditioning - Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment
Deep conditioning is pivotal to maintaining curly hair, and the Ojon damage reverse Restorative Hair Treatment is a remarkable product that you can apply either to freshly washed or dry hair, depending on your conditioning needs.
- If your goal is to start the day with extra soft and lubricated hair, try running the product through your hair when you get out of the shower, and leave in until your next wash.
- If you need a quick intensive deep conditioning treatment, apply to your hair the night before your next shampoo. Leave the treatment in overnight and your hair will be softer the morning after.
Purchasing: Ojon can be purchased at Birchbox.
Moisturizing - Mizani Supreme Oil
Moisture to the hair can be infused weekly through the conditioning properties of an Ojon treatment, but daily moisture is key to maintaining proper balance to the hair. Natural oils are best, and Mizani Supreme Oil harnesses the power of sesame, jojoba, almond, avocado, apricot, olive fruit, sunflower and argan oils, yet it is light enough to apply daily or as often as needed.
- Rub a dime-sized amount into the palms of your hands and apply to the hair, starting at the ends and working your way toward the scalp.
- Use in the morning as your prep for the day or at night with a satin scarf or bonnet.
Styling - Curls
Finding the right styling products (or combination of products) for natural hair can be a very daunting task, especially when certain product lines cater to one specific hair type. However, Curls products are made with certified organic ingredients and the brand carries an array of styling products that address a variety of curl patterns and textures. Each product can be used in tandem with other Curls products or as a stand-alone styler, which is great for women who like to create their own 'cocktail' for styling.
- If you're twisting your hair, the Cashmere Curl Jelly can be applied all over, while the Passion Fruit Curl Control Paste can also be added to the edges for a smooth, controlled look.
- The Curl Souffle Curl Cream is great for coarse hair. Use it alone for manageability and softness while defining your curl pattern.
Purchasing: Curls products can be found on the company's website.
Find the Products Right for You
While there are now an abundance of natural hair products for black women, consumers should educate themselves on the needs specific to their hair type to see optimal results. Always read each product's ingredient carefully to determine whether the ones you are considering are truly natural products.