Semi-permanent hair color won't lighten hair, but it can add gloss, tweak your natural color, make your hair darker, and it's the go-to product for "fashion" hair color. However, depending on the type of hair and its condition and porosity, semi-permanent color last for days, weeks, months, or until it is cut off.
Brands for Natural Colors
Semi-permanent color can be easily found online, in drugstores, supermarkets, and at beauty supply houses.
Clairol Natural Instincts
This Clairol semi-permanent hair color has been around for 20 years or more. Price: $7 to $9
- It's available in 36 natural hair colors.
- It has warm and cool shades that go from light to dark.
- It makes hair look glossy and shiny.
- It's ammonia-free.
- It lasts through 28 shampoos.
- It contains hydrogen peroxide
- It's not permanent but not impermanent either.
- As it fades, it takes on a dull appearance.
Dark and Lovely Color Gloss Ultra Radiant Color Crème
- It contains moisturizing shea butter, coconut oil, argan oil, olive oil, and pomegranate seed.
- It will reduce frizz without disturbing your curls.
- It provides a glossy shine.
- It's safe for relaxed and chemically treated hair.
- It comes in 34 shades of black, brown, red, and blonde.
- The color on the box may not be the color you get; it's best to go a shade or two lighter.
- It's semi-transparent and will only tone gray hair.
Clairol Professional Advanced Gray Solutions
Advanced Gray is uniquely formulated for gray coverage. Price: about $8.00
- Gray coverage for up to 50 percent gray hair
- Comes in 9 shades
- Lasts up to 12 shampoos
- Leaves hair glossy and feeling moisturized
- No ammonia or peroxide
- Gentle enough to use immediately a relaxer or chemical service
- It may not completely hide your gray hair, but it will make your natural hair look like it's been highlighted.
Brands With Bright and Vibrant Colors
"Fashion" or non-traditional shades of hair are the latest trend. These semi-permanent colors will be most colorful and vibrant when applied to pre-bleached hair. However, if you're not into bleaching, they will still add a subtle tint to your hair. The darker your hair the more subtle they'll be.
Manic Panic® - High Voltage® Classic Cream Formula Hair Color
Manic Panic Hair Color is a ready-to-use, semi-permanent, cream hair color that delivers vibrant and bright colors. It is the original "fashion" non-traditional hair color line the USA, is said to be the punkiest hair color on the planet, and in 2017 was the winner of the Nylon Beauty Hit list for best hair color. Price: about $14
- It has 41 colors to choose from ranging from subtle to outrageous.
- It's guaranteed vegan and contains no animal ingredients.
- It's fortified with a herbal and protein complex is gentle and will not damage hair.
- It's not tested on animals.
- It's vegan-friendly and cruelty-free
- It's not for individuals with over 10 percent white hair.
- Depending on your hair type and condition, it can be impossible to wash the color out entirely.
- It's moderately high maintenance. To keep these colors looking their best, you need to reapply after 4 to 5 washes.
It has 19 bright and vivid hair colors, plus a color diluter that can be mixed to give you the special color you want.
- It has beautiful and vibrant colors.
- It's long lasting.
- It doesn't stain your skin or pillow right after the coloring.
- Its colors fade nicely.
- It conditions hair while coloring.
- It's vegan/ cruelty-free.
It's only available for purchase on the Artic Fox website or Amazon
Although tempting and relatively easy to use, semi-permanent colors are not foolproof, and it can be expensive having a professional correct your mistake. Everyone's hair is different. If you're unsure about what brand or color to choose, it's best to talk to your hairstylist or someone with knowledge of the ins and outs of semi-permanent coloring hair before attempting to do this yourself.