While swimming provides fun and enjoyment, pool water can wreak havoc on your hair. This can lead to dull, dry, brittle and, sometimes, green hair. Even regular shampooing can leave mineral deposits due to elevated mineral content in water that can weigh hair down, as well as make it look dingy and lose its luster. Fortunately, there are some quality shampoos specifically targeted to eradicate chlorine and other unwanted build-up from hair.
Swimmers Wellness Shampoo by Malibu
Malibu C Swimmers Wellness Shampoo is priced around $14 for 9 ounces, and it's specifically designed for people who like to indulge in the pool or spa. A daily shampoo, this formula is great for color-treated or permed hair. Fantastic for all ages, this shampoo is sulfate-free and 100% vegan, and it has a mild, fresh smell. It also works well as a body wash. It eliminates chemicals like chlorine and bromine that can leave hair dingy and green, and it leaves the hair soft with a nice shine and great manageability.
Reviews on Amazon are overwhelmingly popular, and the majority of consumers give the shampoo a five-star rating. One customer describes it as being "truly an amazing product," while another comments that it "keeps the green out of my daughter's blond hair."
Apply this product to your hair daily or as needed, just like regular shampoo.
- Vitamins C and E - Antioxidants that assist in protection from further damage like sun and salt, which can make the hair dry and brittle
- EDTA - A chelating factor that assists in lifting bromine and chlorine from hair, as well as hard water minerals such as copper, calcium, and magnesium, which can leave hair dull, limp, and discolored
- Panthenol - Helps with hydration by penetrating the hair shaft to protect, strengthen, and moisturize
Fairy Tales Lifeguard Clarifying Shampoo
Fairy Tales Lifeguard Clarifying Shampoo costs around $10 for 12 ounces, and it's a deep-cleansing, gentle shampoo for beach-goers and swimmers. It is targeted for kids, but it also works well for adults. Formulated with natural botanicals, this shampoo eliminates salt, chlorine, and daily grime without stripping the hair of shine and softness.
This citrus-infused shampoo is developed with fruit enzymes and citrus extracts. It smells terrific, is non-irritating, and performs well with color-treated hair.
Allure included this shampoo in its list of The 6 Beauty Products We Borrow (ok steal) From Our Kids. It's also a crowd pleaser on Ulta, where one customer described it as a "gentle clarifying shampoo," and another praised it for "keeping my bleach highlights bright."
Apply this product daily or as needed.
- Natural botanicals- Orange flower, lemon, and grapefruit extracts aid in natural cleansing to get rid of chemical build-up and daily grime
- Panthenol and aloe- Preserve and hydrate the hair shaft with conditioning agents that provide soft and shiny hair
- Vitamin C- Enhances shine and eliminates dullness that can be caused by spa chemicals
UltraSwim shampoo is priced under $6 for 7 ounces, and it's formulated specifically to remove copper deposits and other chemical build-up that can cause damage and hair discoloration. Good for all ages, this is a mild formulation with a clean scent.
This product is formulated with a combination of humectants, moisturizers, vitamin E and aloe to nourish and condition hair while it eradicates chlorine and chlorine odor. It's gentle enough to work well for chemically treated, colored, permed, or relaxed hair styles.
One customer on Amazon proclaimed, "Superb! Takes the chlorine out and keeps hair healthy!" Other customers state that it is excellent, with one going so far as to call it "the best chlorine-removal shampoo."
For best results, apply twice and rinse. For optimal results, follow up with UltraSwim Repair Conditioner.
Vitamin E and Aloe - Helps condition hair and remove chlorine and chlorine odor; also lifts copper deposits which turn hair green
Reflect H20 Swimmers Shampoo
If your top priority is to eliminate green hair, as well as preserve the integrity of your hair shaft, Reflect H2O Swimmers Shampoo may be a good option for you. This shampoo is priced around $7 for 8 ounces, and it gently removes chlorine and copper deposits which can cause green hair. It also eradicates salts and surface build-up without stripping colored hair.
Using this shampoo actually strengthens, repairs, and protects hair cuticles. It is precisely formulated without sulfates, which can be excessively harsh on a swimmer's already-compromised hair. It's terrific for all ages and smells fresh, and it can also be used as an invigorating body wash.
This shampoo gets outstanding ratings on Swimoutlet.com. Customers, many of whom swim several days each week, praise the product's quality and effectiveness. One even says, "My hair is finally healthy after suffering from pool hair for years."
Apply the shampoo immediately after swimming, and massage to create a lather. For best results, wait two minutes, and then rinse thoroughly.
- Vitamins B5 and E - Remove bromine and chlorine, which tend to coat the hair shaft and make it dingy and lifeless; act as nourishment and restore the hair shaft to its natural shine and healthy state
- Wheat amino acids, keratin amino acids, silk amino acids, and hops - Helps strengthen and repair hair cuticles
- UV absorber - Aids in blocking sun and prevents the hair shaft from becoming dry and brittle
Dive In and Don't Worry About Your Hair
With a variety of clarifying shampoos on the market, there are several choices to eliminate any unwanted build-up or discoloration. Enjoy the pool! Move forward with your mousse! Relax and have no fear; the answers for getting rid of chlorine and more are right here!