Short hair is both stylish and versatile. It can look soft and romantic or edgy and bold, depending on how you wear it. To change up your hairstyle (or give it an extra dose of personality), make use of styling tips. Some popular short hair styles include angled bobs, choppy layers, and pixie cuts. With so many options, it is important to style smart, and there are plenty of ways to streamline your routine.
Working With Different Short Hair Types
Some people have curls and waves while others are born with ultra straight locks. There can also be a thin, normal, or thick density. Start by determining your natural hair type, then factor it into your styling routine.
If you have fine hair, your biggest issues are creating volume and getting it to stay. Unfortunately, this type has a habit of falling flat. (The same is true if you have super straight hair). The best thing to do is follow volumizing tips and techniques, like getting a good haircut, drying your hair on a low heat setting, and using round brushes. Be sure to use volume-boosting shampoos and conditioners, as well as products that provide lots of lift and hold.
With short thick hair, there are many things to be aware of. A thick density can make certain haircuts more difficult to style, especially once a cut starts to grow out. Visit the salon often to avoid this problem. Other issues related to thicker hair include frizz, puffiness, and additional blow drying time. To deal with thick hair, use frizz reducing serums and ask your hairdresser for layers. They will make the hair more responsive to styling and make it appear thinner.
Wavy or Curly Hair
Wavy or curly hair looks amazing whether the length is longer or shorter. However, frizz is a serious concern. With a short style, gorgeous waves and curls tend to become frizzy and out of control. Prevent it from happening by using smoothing products. (The Smooth Sexy Hair Sulfate Free Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner Duo Liter will give you sleek hair without removing the volume). You can also use frizz fighters like serums and sprays.
Many shorter hairstyles incorporate lots of layers. They can look absolutely amazing if styled correctly. Make sure you keep up the layers by visiting the salon as necessary. Otherwise your layered style will appear awkward and uncared for. It will also be harder to style each morning. To maximize your layers, try blow-drying short layered hair in a way that shows them off.
Create a Look With a Great Product
Not all hair care products are created equally. This is especially true when it comes to short hair. The wrong product can cause the hair to look greasy, heavy, and weighed down. Be very selective about the items you choose.
If you want to create a faux hawk, towel dry and work a product like Garnier Fructis Style Full and Plush Root Amp Root Lifting Spray Mousse through the length. Be sure to use your fingers for a more natural finish. This process lifts the hair and adds tons of volume.
For an unforgettable style that is sleek, chic, and sophisticated, slick back the sides or create the wet look on top. Not only is the slick hair trend a must for red carpet events - it will make you stand out in the best possible way. Add gel to the length, like the Short Sexy Hair Just Gelling Flexible Liquid Gel, for strong hold that offers plenty of shine.
If you have multiple lengths in your hair (it might be buzzed on one side or an asymmetrical cut) then contrast is key. You can create tons of height by using a volumizing hairspray, like the Not Your Mother's She's A Tease Volumizing Hairspray and a blow dryer. You can also create an easy updo for short hair by adding in braids, texture, and twists. Those details will instantly add elegance to your look.
Heat styling tools are something else to consider. They require adjustments for shorter lengths. For example, a regular flat iron is too thick and difficult to use on short hair. A product like the MiniYOU by Conair 1/2" Ceramic Straightener is ideal. The smaller size makes it possible to get close to the root and create an endless array of styles. That includes straight sections, curled pieces, and romantic waves.
The Vidal Sassoon VS433C Tangle-Free Hot Air Brush Styler and Dryer is another fantastic item. It is a great alternative to a standard hair dryer. This brush-like product allows you to both dry and style your hair. Whether you want to create lots of texture or go smooth and straight, you can. Just remember to avoid short hair styling mistakes by using a heat protectant and being careful not to over blow-dry.
Hair Accessories to Add to Your Look
Accessories have the power to transform a hairstyle. Suddenly that simple sweptback look will be polished, put together, and downright breathtaking.
- Headbands: Wearing a headband with short hair is one fantastic example. It keeps away from the face and draws attention to your hairdo. The band itself may be thin, thick, plain, or elaborately decorated. The choice is yours! Simply find one that makes you feel good and reflects your personality.
- Beanies: Another stylish add on is a beanie. This is a great accessory to wear on a chilly day or when your hair refuses to cooperate. Just remember that hats tend to flatten the hair, especially when it is wet. Commit to wearing the hat all day or taking it off frequently while you are out. The latter will prevent your hair from taking the same shape as your accessory.
- Other Accessories: Other must have accessories for short hair include combs, bobby pins, and head wraps. These are great choices for layered styles. They keep your hair tucked back and out of the way. You can also add on a sparkly barrette or clip. These are used to keep grown out bangs away from the face and give a hairstyle that extra pop.
Managing Your Style
To manage your short style and keep it looking fresh and fabulous, follow these tips.
- Go light on products: Short hair can look overdone and weighed down if too much product is used. Keep a light hand when applying hair products, adding as you need to for getting the your perfect look.
- Don't over style: Spending too much time on making sure every hair is in place can result in a dated, overdone look. Instead, keep your look fresh by allowing a little movement.
- Keep up with trims: It's easy for shorter locks to look unkempt when they aren't kept up with in terms of cuts. Get trims regularly to keep your style looking great.
Enjoy Unforgettable Short Styles
Gorgeous hair is always within reach. To create a stunning short style, focus on understanding your hair type, using the right products, and adding a little creativity to the mix. By knowing how to style your short locks, you'll always be able to create an unforgettable look.