Love your curly hair but find it hard to style? This hair texture can sometimes seem unmanageable, but with the right tools and tips, you can master a head of curls in minutes. Whether you simply want to wear your hair loose and have it look lovely or you want the perfect updo for a special event, these are a few styles you can create at home.
Simple and Straightforward Curls
A beautiful head of curls looks gorgeous when worn with a simple part, as long as you keep things frizz-free. Here's how you can showcase your lovely locks in a simple, straightforward style:
- Wash and condition hair with products designed for your hair texture, such as DevaCurl Low-Poo Cleanser and DevaCurl One Condition. While in the shower, use a wide-toothed comb to apply conditioner.
- Pat hair dry gently, squeezing out all excess water. Avoid brushing and combing since this will promote frizz.
- Part hair down the middle with a rat tail comb.
- Rub a curling balm, such as KMS California Curl Up, between your palms. Flip your head over and pat and squeeze the curling balm gently through the entire head of hair. Try to refrain from separating the curls with your fingers; the object is to keep the curl intact.
- Flip your head back over and allow your hair to air dry. If you're in a hurry, you can also use a diffuser sock to dry your hair.
Easy Pullback with Tendril Curls
Elegant and easy, a pullback style with loose tendril curls can show off a carefree sexy style without looking too contrived. Here's how to make it happen:
- Wash hair and condition hair with a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
- While the conditioner is in your hair, run a wide tooth comb through your entire head so the conditioner is evenly distributed. Rinse out the conditioner.
- Dry your hair by patting it gently, squeezing out all excess water so it's damp.
- Flip your head over and apply an amplifying cream like TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock, so it's evenly distributed all over your head of curls.
- Flip your head back and allow your hair to dry thoroughly.
- Once your hair is completely dry, allow two curls pieces to frame your face, one on each side.
- Take a smaller section, about two inches wide, from each side of the head. Twist each of these sections so they meet in the back.
- Join both sides in the back of the head at the occipital bone and use two bobby pins making an "x" or a barrette to fasten them together.
Loose Updo Curly Bun
Curly hair can be bulky and needs no teasing to create volume, which makes it perfect for an updo. When creating a loose updo bun, it's ideal to have volume and fullness in the back of the head, as it balances a person's face. This sexy and elegant style is perfect if your hair is shoulder length or longer. Here's how you can do it:
- Start with day old hair; this style works best if your hair not super clean.
- If your curls are not intact and you have frizz, apply a product like Curly Sexy Hair Curl Reactivator to those areas or to your entire head to revive the curl. Allow the product to dry.
- Flip your head over and shake your hair freely. Your hair should be very loose, not stuck together in clumps.
- Flip your head back and allow a couple of curls in the front to hang.
- Gently sweep the rest of the hair back, keeping it loose without allowing the hair to fall out of your grasp, as if you were putting your hair into a high pony tail.
- Put a small elastic around your hair. Pull the hair half way through and fluff.
- Blend curls in the front and around the elastic using a lightweight hairspray.
Slicked Back Side Pony
This super chic side pony tail is easy to do and shows off your fashion sense. The key to this style is to make sure all the hair is pulled straight with no bumps or ripples before it's fastened with elastic on the side. Here's how to do it:
- Make sure your hair is damp.
- Scoop up a quarter-sized amount of styling wax, like Mizani Defyne Wax High Definition and Hold, and rub it between your palms. Apply the wax to the front of your hair, the crown, and the sides.
- Using a dense bristled brush, brush the hair back and over, pulling tightly. If done correctly, your hair should be touching the back of the ear.
- Fasten the hair with two hair elastics.
- Fluff the remaining curls out to form a ball.
Captivate With Curls
With a few products and the right process, you can create captivating curly hairstyles with ease. Try these styles and experiment with your own modifications. You'll love the results and the compliments you'll receive.